] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Superman Match II Game - 1978

sg
I absolutely love it when someone out there sends me pics of an item I never knew existed, like this Superman Match II Game from Ideal!

These pics are from the newest member of F.O.A.M., Shawn Myers, who had this to say about the game:

This is the Superman Match II game from my childhood. It's a superhero version of the kids game classic "Memory."

I loved this game and must have played it 12,578,495 times the first year I had it. Then when I was tired of playing it the regular way
, I would flip over the tiles to form the letters of the alphabet.

It was manufactured by Ideal (in fact when the tiles are flipped into the starting position there is an Ideal logo on each of the tiles).
There used to be plastic clips to place along each side of the board, but they have since been lost to to me.
sg
As you flip over the tiles you have to remember the position of each hero--or villain to find the correct match:

sg
But--being the Aqua-fan that you are, I'm sure that you're already spotted the reason why I'm sending you these pics:

sg
Here's a pic of the entire board with all of the tiles in alphabetical order:

sg
Not only does this game look like a ton of fun, but check out some of the characters represented on the tiles:
sg
...wow, you didn't see a lot (read: any) of merchandise with Black Lightning on it!

Also interesting that they chose to use Ocean Master instead of Black Manta, which seemed like the more logical choice. I think that makes this game that much more awesome.

Thanks Shawn, and welcome to F.O.A.M!

4 comments:

Doug said...

Not only did I know this existed, I had it! Where it went to, I don't know, but I think it hit the road with my beloved stuffed monkey!

Golly I wish they'd both come back. . .

Plaidstallions said...

I saw this once at my local flea market, thought about and went back to get it. It was gone already!

Anonymous said...

Own it. Still have it (in the original box). And have been playing for 32 years.

Publius said...

Was one of my favorite games, too. Still have it and play with my own kids.