] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

JLA Portfolio - 2008

sg
After posting a spiral notebook featuring Aquaman and Batman, F.O.A.M.er Russell Burbage sent me a bunch of scans of other Aqua-related portfolios he found in his local Target, seeing if I wanted them.

Of course I did, but before I asked Russell to send them to me, I went to my nearest Target to see if I could find them myself. This was the only one I could find, but wow, what a handsome item it is! Four beautiful stock poses by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, organized into one (relatively) coherent image, in front of a sky blue background! Nice!

On the back of the portfolio, oddly, is a Super Powers logo, the same one from the classic Kenner toyline. Why is that still appearing on merchandise, more than twenty years after the line ceased production?

9 comments:

Randy said...

It's probably being used to keep the trademark alive. Someone else could come along and use it to promote a new line of super-absorbing paper towels or something like that. This way, at least it stays within the 'family.'

Earth 2 Chris said...

I picked this one (and a couple of similar notebooks) this weekend. An added bonus is Jerry Ordway drawings of Superman and Batman on the inside pockets! Ordway also has some artwork on a Batman notebook/themebook.

The Super Powers logo really put this one over for me. I felt like I was getting ready for school in 1984!

Chris

Grears said...

That does it. I'm stopping at target during lunch. I hope Mr. Kelly hasn't bought them out!

-George Rears

Russell said...

George, if you need one let me know. I bought ONE extra just in case Rob didn't find one. :-)

chunky B said...

Russell, what area are you finding these in at Target?

BentonGrey said...

Wow, what a nice item! That's some great art, and check it out...Aquaman is front and center!

Earth 2 Chris said...

I found these with the school/office supplies if that helps.

Chris

Russell said...

Likewise, school/office supplies area. Right along with the Spiderman folders and the Iron Man spiral notebooks.
When I looked yesterday, though, they only had Batman. Haha! :-)

chunky B said...

Thanks E2C and Russell, I might be swinging by there tonight and will check!