] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Monday, April 06, 2009

Slurpee Cup Checklist - 1973

sg
Now that Spring is here, a young man's fancy turns to Slurpees...ah, who am I kidding? I drink Slurpees all year long, it just feels more justified in the warmer months of the year.

7-11 released two of these Slurpee Cup checklists, one for DC, one for Marvel. I have an original Marvel one tacked to my wall on my right as I type this, but I could never find a copy of the DC one.

Thankfully, our newest F.O.A.M. member Christopher Chance stepped up to the plate, and sent me a whole folder full of stuff, including this.

DC picked some unusual candidates to get their own Slurpee cups to fill out the roster past Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman (fourth row, third from left), et al.--where else would you see merchandise starring The Vigilante, Alfred, Hourman, Mr. Tawky Tawny, Heat Wave, and Ma and Pa Kent??

I have some of these cups in my collection, but rest assured I don't actually use them to drink Slurpees out of, lest I get some horrible 70s-era disease ("Doctor, what do you mean I've got Legionnaire's Disease?!").

Thanks for this Chris, and welcome to F.O.A.M.!
___________________________________________________________

sg
Today's post is dedicated to Berry T. Cat, Official Mascot of The Aquaman Shrine, who passed away Friday night. He was my little buddy, always ready take a nap on any Aqua-Item I might have lying around (see above). Everyone here misses him very, very much.

9 comments:

chunky B said...

Rob,

I'm sorry to hear about Berry, my condolences to you and the Shrine.

Wings1295 said...

Thank goodness I never came across that check-list as a kid! I would have been on a desperate search to "COLLECT THEM ALL!". And I only wish I was kidding.

So sorry to hear about your friend. Very sad. :(

Chris Chance said...

Am sorry to hear about Berry, Last year I lost my cat Mr Rebitz (Mr Re= Mystery). After 19 1/2 years a long cat life. Am still grieving over it, he was family not just a pet. So I feel very deeply for your loss. But as I have been told is better to celebrate their lives then mourn their deaths.

Poem For Cats

And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

rob! said...

Thanks, fellas.

I was a wreck on Saturday, but I'm better now. Berry was a great little fella--my Darlin' Tracy rescued him from the streets when he was a kitten, so he had a really good 11+ years, the last six of which were with both of us.

I very much appreciate the kind words.

And Joe--I agree. If I had been buying Slurpees in 1973, I would not have rested until I found all those cups, even Ma Kent!

Anonymous said...

My condolences on your kitty loss. My roommate has 2 and I love them like they are my own.

Dixon said...

Like the others, I was sorry to hear the sad news, Rob. I'm sure Berry T. Cat will be missed. My condolences to you and Tracy.

matthew jones said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat Rob. I hope that you and your family are coping with the loss.

John Glenn Taylor said...

My most sincere condolences on the recent loss of your furry family member. May the happy memories you and your family created with Berry last forever. Peace.

Mike said...

Hi, I found your blog while searching for info. on Slurpee Cups! You've got a really great site going here. Thanks for posting the DC Slurpee Cup checklist. I noticed that not only is Captain Marvel called "Shazam" but also Captain Marvel Jr. is labeled as "Shazam Jr." and Mary Marvel is "Ms. Shazam"! All this was due to avoiding any legal issues with Marvel Comics.

I also have to give you belated condolences on the passing of your cat. It's always hard to lose a friend. Hopefully when enough time has passed, you will consider adopting another cat into your family.

Best regards,

Mike
Chicago, IL