] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Friday, May 09, 2008

Aqua-Mail

sg
Welcome to our first installment of Aqua-Mail!

You see, at this point, I get emailed so much material from you swell Aqua-Fans out there that the Shrine is now the closest thing to an Internet Perpetual Motion Machine.

That is something I deeply, deeply appreciate, and I want to make sure any time someone takes the time to send me something--either in the mail, via email, or even just a cool link--that it gets the attention it deserves.

So I decided to round up a couple of items sent to me that, for one reason or another, I don't want to devote a single day's post to. So we'll be doing the Aqua-Mail segment every time enough stuff comes in to make it worth it.

(The header is from the Sea King's solo book in the mid-70s, I figure he's not using it right now)

So let's start off with this sketch by Tiny Titans artist Franco Aureliani:
sg
This was done at last month's New York Comic Con for Aqua-Fan Joe Hennes, who graciously scanned it and sent it to me--I love Arthur's frowny face. Thanks Joe!

Next, another item from the NY Con, this time a photo of a really industrious Black Manta fan, flanked by two comely lasses who like bad guys, apparently:
sg
...how I missed this guy while I was there I have no idea, but luckily my pal Glenn Walker was quick enough to get a snapshot. Thanks Glenn!

Next is a link to something a few people sent me, but Adam "Dispatches from the Arrowcave" Thibault was first out of the gate, so he gets the nod.
sg
It's a piece for McSweeney's by Glen Weldon called...well, it involves Aquaman and some very harsh, NSFW language, and let's leave it at that. Just click here to read it. Thanks Adam!

sgNext is a Scandinavian Superman comic, which came amid a pile of fun stuff from F.O.A.M. member extraordinaire Russell Burbage.

The comic is black and white on the inside, and features an assortment of features--two Superman stories, (one by Cary Bates, Curt Swan, and Frank Chiaramonte, the other by Bates, Swan, and Murphy Anderson), two pages about a Superman fan club called SuperKlubben, even a Hembeck strip(!).

There's also a classic Teen Titans story by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy, reprinted from Teen Titans #14.

It's here we get to see that, in, er, whatever language this is, Aqualad translates simply into "Aquaboy"
:
sg
...I love seeing this stuff in other languages and other formats. Thanks Russell!

Finally, from already-enrolled F.O.A.M. member John Lijewski III came a link to an online video from a group called iFanboy, entitled "What's Wrong With Aquaman?":

Even with my diligent attention, there's a lot more Aquaman stuff out there then I could ever catch on my own. Luckily I have all you guys out there helping me out!

This concludes our first rummaging through the Aqua-Mailbag, but it won't be the last.
So thanks guys, and Joe, Glenn, and Adam--welcome to F.O.A.M!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I loved that letter column picture. Any idea who drew it? And, oh yeah, thanks for the shout out. :-) Glad you like the Norwegian (?) comic.

Adama said...

Thanks for the F.O.A.M. membership Rob! I'm going to print that certificate out as soon as I get home, as well as putting it up on the Arrowcave. I'm on vacation right now, and can't send e-mail, or I would have thanked you there.