] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sketch Week II, Part 3: Doug Slack - 2004

Publish Postsg















This striking piece was done for me by my pal Doug Slack. Doug has done a lot of indy comic work over the years, including his own Slacker Comics for Slave Labor.

Doug and I went to junior high and high school together, and we even toured the Kubert School together(only I would end up going). We've managed to stay friends even though our lives took us on very divergent paths at times. He's married now with two great kids, but he's still the same fun guy I knew way back when, the guy laying on the ground next to me as we got beat up during a mugging(but that's another story).

Anyway, after I had done a couple of my Universal Monster posters, Doug offered to trade me an Aquaman sketch for prints of a few of 'em. Deal! A few weeks later he handed me this cool sketch...I love how Black Manta seems to grow out of the black background, with his hunched-over evil-guy pose. Thanks Doug!

5 comments:

Louie Joyce said...

Very cool sketch.

Siskoid said...

Really nice, I love it too! I'm sure he thought he got the better deal though, your posters are the catfish's meow.

chunky B said...

That is a great sketch, very nice.

Doug Slack said...

Rob's print (Bride of Frankenstein) hangs in my living room now. You can actually see Elsa Lanchester from the street outside.
Blank Manta has such a cool costume I consider this a Manta sketch, featuring Aquaman.

Scurvy said...

Wow. Manta looks downright scary in this.