] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Friday, March 23, 2007

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis #50 - 2007

Publish PostsgSince it's Comic Friday again, and this week's issue heralded the start of a new creative team on Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, I thought I'd take the rare opportunity to be current!

Taking over from Kurt Busiek and Butch Guice are novelist Tad Williams, penciler Shawn McManus, and inker Walde Wong, with a beautiful cover by Mario Alberti.

My first impressions of this issue was that the story was at least a little easier to follow--there was more of a through-line which I think will help me remember what happened after each previous issue. McManus's work was excellent, though I'm not totally sure his more humorish style is right for all the murder and mayhem that goes on (I'd love to see DC put him on a lighter character from their stable--Captain Marvel is taken, howabout Angel and The Ape?). We get to see Mera (slightly top-heavy) and Tempest again, which is nice, plus a whole host of new characters. And despite the aforementioned murder and mayhem, there is a light touch to the dialogue which helps a lot, since Aquaman as a character tended to be pretty dreary and way too serious.

Overall, I appreciate that DC is trying to build "Aquaman" as a character, a concept, a brand if you will, instead of just cancelling the book (again). They're putting some very talented creators on Aquaman, and this new team can hopefully build upon what Busiek and Guice started.

(That said, I do wanna see the "real" Aquaman come back some time...)

No comments: