] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Monday, March 05, 2007

Aqualad Slurpee Cup - 1973

sgWe continue to celebrate tomorrow's Aqualad-birthday with one of my most favorite items, the 7-11 Slurpee cup. My love of 7-11s in general and Slurpees in particular knows no bounds, so I have actually taken to collecting them, regardless of what superhero is shown (I have the fairly HTF Marvel Doc Savage cup, and even the Marvel cup checklist!).

There's something charming to me about very obscure characters making it onto Slurpee cups (DC slapped such unlikely merchandisees as Sgt.Rock, Captain Marvel Jr., and even Martha Kent onto them). This piece is clipped from the cover to Showcase #30 with art by Howard Purcell; indeed, all the DC cups would use art reprinted from the comics, while Marvel's were original, pin-up-like pieces, complete with character logo. Which ones do you think were more popular?

I used to love collecting the Slurpee cups as a kid, right from the store. When they did the Superman Returns ones last summer, I bought those, too, but of course they were a little more corporately-approved (read:dull) than these, using the same photos you saw on every SR product. Who knows, though? Maybe if they ever do make an Aquaman movie, we'll have another shot at an Aqualad cup...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob, great find! I used to have most of the Legionnaires until they cracked in a move. However, are you sure that's Howard Purcell? I always thought it was Ramona Fradon!

rob! said...

well, i know its taken from Showcase #30 and DC lists Purcell as the artist.

looked a little like Fradon to me, but...