] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Black Light Poster - Surely the 70s

sg(Closes door, lays wet towel at the bottom, puts Kansas' "Dust in the Wind" on the 8-Track)

Yes, this is an actual Aquaman black light poster. I found this on ebay a few years ago, and I just had to have it. Of course, it's not official DC merchandise, but the idea that someone thought a shot of Aquaman would be good decoration in somebody's dorm room or basement is too funny for me to contemplate.

This looks like original art to me--at least it doesn't look like any known style that DC might have published at the time. And I'm guessing the "His last spear...now to attack!" dialogue doesn't come from any comic, either.

Still, as a black light poster, it's pretty nifty, with nice colors and a mellow vibe surely needed for any self-respecting item such as this. And when I think about it, it's pieces like this, more than any official piece of licensing, that best exemplifies how deep into the public conciousness Aquaman has seeped.

(Lights up joint, sits back, thoroughly toasted. Stares at poster, wondering if a whole universe might exist inside Aquaman's belt buckle...)

5 comments:

Dixon said...

"Whoaaa, dude, you just blew my mind! Aquaman's deep."

ds said...

I bet, like, Aquaman woulda dug Jim Morrison, man. They were both, y'know, swimmin inna ocean alone, man.

How big is this piece? The bigger, the bigger. I like it.

ds said...

The bigger, the bigger? Cut me off. I meant the bigger, the better.

rob! said...

it's around 12x20"...the bigger, the bigger, indeed.

Manetoys said...

Aww man, Aquaman can't even get a decent bootleg toy. It really DOES suck to be Aquaman XD
No offense to Aquaman. I think he's cool but he is the butt of a lot of jokes