] type='image/vnd.microsoft.icon'/>

Monday, June 09, 2008

JLA WB Store Jacket - 1997

sg
This was another one of those cool items they used to sell in the Warner Bros. Studio stores, again sent to me by F.O.A.M. member Shag Matthews (aka The Irredeemable Shag).

Even though I loved the old-school-ness of this, I never did pick it up. I think at the time I wasn't confident enough to wear something with such a high Fanboy Quotient (I'd say its around 90%). Now, of course, I'd wear it all the time if I had it. Progress.


Thank Neptune Aquaman has some sort of iconic symbol that people recognize as standing for him, otherwise he might have been ignominiously left off like Martian Manhunter was! Ouch!
sg
Here's a close-up of the back, where our heroes look a tad angry. Maybe because they miss J'onn?

Thanks Shag!

6 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

Man, I was loving that design up until the scowls. I like my super-heroes smiling, or at least sober. Superman just looks like Elvis after too many fried bananas.

I used to get ticked about J'Onn J'Onzz exclusions, but over time I've come to realize it ups his coolness cache. As Patton Oswalt once wrote, if Superman is Elvis, J'Onn's Dylan, and Dylan don't need merch.

Anonymous said...

The other thing is, light green thread would be more expensive. We're lucky Flash and WW have yellow in them, or Aquaman probably would have been cut, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Also...leave us not to forget that this was before the Justice League cartoon and before his appearances on Smallville.

Before then, the Martian Manhunter was kinda like a best-kept secret that only we hard-core comics fans knew about.

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Rob - Thanks for posting this! I actually wore it quite a bit during the winters in 1990's (very warm coat). However, I always felt a little uncomfortable. When seen from the front, it really looks like it was a fan-made jacket. It wasn't until people saw the back did they really appreciate it.

The Irredeemable Shag
http://onceuponageek.com

Unknown said...

I used to have this jacket, it disappeared from my parents house after I joined the military. I would like to find another one. I lived this coat.

Unknown said...

Loved